Monday, May 9, 2011

If All Living Things Grow, You Will Too

All that is living must grow. That includes us. You and I need to grow physically, mentally, emotionally, and spiritually.

In the past few weeks, I’ve been reflecting about what it means to be growing up. I understand that no matter the age, we are constantly learning and growing. Elderly folks have taught me to think positively, to not complain nor blame my circumstances, to take responsibility for my own actions and their consequences.

Simply put, they taught me to be proactive. I went down memory lanes - went though my personal childhood and adulthood struggles, which are both essential to my well-being today. They are the very foundation of my attitude. They act as reminders for when I am going through life's challenges.

The attitude of, “I’ve been through worse,” or “my problems are miniscule compared to others”, and eventually leading to, “I can get through or around this and I will do so.” Going through life's adversities, I now see challenges and problems as opportunities for constant growth.

As I thought of what it means to be growing up, the following questions came up to my mind:
  • Who was I before?
  • Who am I now?
  • Who will I be?

How about you? Try answering these questions. As adults, it is our responsibility to have a vision, to have goals, no matter how big or small. We must be able to see the end to our current and future ventures to make them meaningful.

I answered these questions by way of quiet reflection. Then I came to a realization that the very foundation of self-ackowledgement was based on social acceptance and public image – behaving in a way that is in alignment with the expectations of my peers, culture, and the acceptable norms.

When we think of our upbringing and development, we think about “us”, the “number 1”. Why? Because for some people, being independent is considered to be the pinnacle of personal achievement. Independence is great but the fact is that we live in an interdependent reality. As I tried to answer the questions I mentioned above, I thought of not only what I’ve done for myself but also all my interactions with people in the past, today, and what it will be in the future.

Lately, I’ve been thinking of the principles that our grandparents thought us. It is our character that defines us not the acted-upon behaviors and attitude that polish our personality. Characters like integrity, industry, humility, justice, temperance, fidelity, courage, simplicity, modesty, and the golden rule are the foundation to effective living. The challenge lies in the balance of having to maintain a positive personality that is in congruency with our character.

I know what I’ve been through and how it has made an impact to affect the person I am now. But the exciting part is the person who I will be is really up to me. No matter the failures and successes, challenges and opportunities, struggles and victories - I still am not the person who I will become someday. As long as I am living, I will continually grow.

No comments:

Post a Comment