Monday, April 25, 2011

Attitude that Persists through Generations

Yesterday was full of inspirations and motivations.

My mother and I were apart for this year's Easter celebration, the resurrection of Jesus. She was in San Francisco with friends and relatives and I was in Bakersfield, spending time with good company. My mother and I were talking on the phone early Sunday. We were physically separated but near and dear at heart and mind.

I attended an Easter service at Riverwalk at the Park. The service was hosted by Riverlakes Community Church where there were thousands in attendance. The service lasted for an hour. It was filled with children's choir, a talented band, and a motivational sermon.

After the service, I went to Panera Bread, bought lunch, and brought it back to the park where hundreds of people were in attendance. Children were mindlessly running around and playing while their parents and relatives were serving barbeque lunches. There, I ate my lunch and read my book for about two hours.

Afterwards, I went to my friends' house where they celebrated Easter with the family and friends. I was fortunate enough to be a part of their friends. To me, they are family and I'm sure the relationship is mutual. Family and friends are great sources of support. In the past, I've had great opportunities to be receiving good advices from successful and elderly people, both accounts for the theoretical and experiential knowledge.

I admire elderly people. They are filled with wisdom and timeless experiences. There is so much to learn from them. One particular person in attendance at my friend's house was "Granny". She is my friend's grandmother. She is 93 years old. She is very outgoing, open-minded, and constantly having a conversation with anyone and everyone. It didn't matter if you were 5, 21, 42, or 65 years old, she will keep up with a good conversation.

The first time I saw her, I instantly found someone who truly deserved adulation without a doubt. Growing up as a child, I have spent many years enjoying stories and simple advices from older folks like Granny. Their advices are timeless. They are driven by simple, basic principles, and priceless values.

One of the best characteristics that I have noticed from Granny was her genuine positive attitude. If there is one thing to learn from her, it was her attitude. Just as she clearly emanates, maybe we can eliminate our worries, enjoy our lives, and promote an overall healthy well-being if we carry on the same attitude.

Both Jesus' resurrection and Granny's positive attitudes are impressions that last towards generations to come.

At the conclusion of the Easter celebration, as we walked Granny out to her car, she turned around and said to us, "There is nothing you can do that I can't do." Now, that's the spirit. That's an attitude that persists through generations to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment