Friday, April 22, 2011

What is Maturity?

As a kid, my dad once said, "If you don't quit acting immature, I won't be able to help you." At first, I thought he was looking out for himself and that he didn't want to deal with me. Later on I found that he was simply telling me to act in a way that shows I'm willing to cooperate.

So, what is maturity anyway?

There are many ways to define maturity but let's look at it from a different perspective.

There are 3 levels of maturity:
  1. Dependence
  2. Independence
  3. Interdependence
Dependence - "I want it and I want it now!" (children)
  1. You are completely dependent on others to survive.
  2. You are primarily reliant on outside sources to influence your behaviors and actions.
  3. You are unable to provide for yourself.
Independence - "I am good and I can do this by myself." (young adults)
  1. You are able to survive on your own.
  2. You are not reliant on outside sources to influence your behaviors and actions.
  3. You are able to provide for yourself.
Interdependence - "I know this already but I still want your advice." (adults)
  1. You are able to create synergy with others.
  2. You understand that the combined effort is greater than the sum of its parts.
  3. You seek to understand others before taking actions.
Being able to get along with others is the highest form of maturity.

Always think win/win situation.

No comments:

Post a Comment